Review: Hangout @ Mount Emily, Singapore
A cool, comfortable, clean & convenient base for your explorations in the island state.
Searching for somewhere to stay in Singapore actually took longer than I expected. What I was looking for was somewhere that offered me a lot for my restricted budget. My accommodation searches revealed that on the whole, you get what you pay for in Singapore. It seemed the cheaper the place, the less comfort and amenities you got. I quickly learnt that what I needed to find was somewhere that offered value.
Hangout @ Mount Emily had precisely that. A hostel/hotel geared towards young travellers and backpackers who need just a little extra comfort for their money.
- Staff were happy and helpful. Smiles were easy to find (actually, smiles were easy to find all over Singapore). Questions were always answered thoroughly & knowledgeably.
- Rooms are generally a good size. The two rooms I stayed in had ample room for two people. Good sound proofing.
- Big buffet breakfast included in the room price. Some strange choices (early morning lasagne anyone?) but much appreciated.
- Laundry facilities on-site. Really useful and cheap. I don’t know why more places don’t offer washers and dryers.
- Free unlimited use of internet-enabled computers and building-wide wifi.
- Large common room with pool table and big screen tv.
- Awesome rooftop terrace with a nice view of the city centre and a shower pool to splash about in.
- Cleanliness in rooms and in all public areas to a high standard.
- Dorms are nicely laid out. Custom-built lockable cupboards separate each bed offering a bit of extra privacy.
- Quiet neighbourhood with a small, leafy park right on the doorstep. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It was lovely to come back to after a busy day of sightseeing.
- A general feeling that the place is well-run and that the staff care. Comforting for nervous travellers.
- Air-con! Wonderful, wonderful air-con!
- I wasn’t bothered by it, but some may find the short daily walk and MRT ride to and from the hotel a little tiresome.
- Due to its hybrid setup, it’s not the best place to meet people and make new friends.
- Plain rooms. Lots of Ikea furnishings.
- Some private rooms don’t have windows.
If you’re on a tight budget but require a few more home comforts for your money, this is the place for you. Ignore any concerns about the location. It’s really not that far a walk and you’ll be glad of the peace once you get back after being on the go all day. For the money, you could only really expect the hotel to be clean and comfortable. It is, yet you also get free wifi, free breakfast, a funky common room and rooftop terrace to hangout in, helpful staff on call 24 hours a day, big, airy rooms with air-con, laundry facilities and even bikes to hire. What’s not to like? Book far enough ahead, and you could bag yourself one of the biggest bargains Singapore has to offer.